Have you heard the term “HIIT” before, but aren’t quite sure what it means? Not to worry; we’ll not only break down what HIIT is and what the benefits are, we will also give you a sample routine so you can try it on your own!
What is HIIT?
High-intensity interval training, or HIIT, is a method of exercise that involves alternating short bursts of intense activity with slightly longer periods of low-intensity exercise for rest and recovery. For example, instead of riding your bike at the same pace for a half an hour, a HIIT program would require you to pedal as fast as you can for 30 seconds, slow it down for 60 seconds, and repeat this cycle for the duration of your ride.
What are the benefits of HIIT training?
HIIT training is becoming more and more popular, and for good reasons. Here are a few benefits that HIIT training offers:
• Time efficient: Just fifteen minutes of HIIT training can be more beneficial than a full hour of running on the treadmill.
• Heart healthy: Like traditional cardio, HIIT is good for the cardiovascular system and can ward off heart disease and obesity.
• Burn Fat Quickly: HIIT not only burns more fat than traditional cardio during the workout, but the effects can actually last up to 24 hours after your training session.
What’s a good HIIT routine that I can try?
If you are new to the world of HIIT training, here is a simple routine you can try on your next run:
1. Warm up by jogging at a moderate pace for 4 minutes.
2. Sprint for 20 seconds.
3. Jog for 40 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 twelve times.
5. Cool down by jogging at a moderate pace for 4 minutes.
By following this routine, you can get a complete workout (including a proper warm up and cool down) in just 20 minutes!
Looking for a place to get your daily dose of physical activity? Check out Insports Centers! As southern Connecticut’s largest indoor sports facility, we have something for everyone. Visit our website to view a list of our upcoming leagues, tournaments, and events; or join the thousands of others who have connected with us on Facebook!