Over the past decade, the use of artificial turf sports fields has skyrocketed across the country. Previously few and far between, these surfaces can now be found at schools, complexes, and community centers everywhere.
Artificial turf is comprised of synthetic polyethylene fibers intended to replicate the look and feel of natural grass. More times than not, these fields are filled in with “crumb rubber” – or ground up recycled car tires – to enhance durability and safety by providing extra cushion.
While artificial turf has become a hotly-debated topic, it does offer some undeniable benefits to facility owners, maintenance staff, and players alike.
Financial & Environmental Benefits
• Lower maintenance costs. Artificial turf doesn’t require pesky maintenance tasks such as mowing, fertilizing, or aerating. These eliminated maintenance costs can add up to more than $35,000 over the course of a year.
• No watering required. Since artificial turf is not real grass, it doesn’t need to be watered. If every grass athletic field in the country switched over to artificial turf, we would save billions of gallons of water per year.
• Good return on investment. Artificial turf fields have a higher initial cost than grass fields, but can pay for themselves in as little as five years due to limited maintenance costs.
Athlete Health & Safety Benefits
• Increased playability. Grass fields can only be used three or four times per week before they begin to deteriorate. Artificial turf, on the other hand, can be practiced or played on several times per day without breaking down.
• Fewer injuries. A small rainstorm is all it takes to turn a grass field into a mud pit. This slippery, uneven surface is a sprained ankle waiting to happen. Turf does not get torn up like grass does, meaning no potholes to look out for.
• Pesticide-free. Unlike natural grass, artificial turf does not require treatment with harmful pesticides.
Featuring a full-sized artificial turf field and several hardwood courts, Insports Centers is the premier indoor sports facility in southern Connecticut. We host a variety of youth and adult sports leagues, camps, clinics, and tournaments all year long. Connect with us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming events, or give us a call at (203) 268-1214.